Join us to learn about biomimicry with examples of designs and systems that mimic nature’s design lessons; including natural forms, models, measures, and biological processes to deepen sustainable methodology. Examine the built environment with our expert instructor to identify how biology systems can be used as blueprints to solve design problems in the architectural and engineering spheres more sustainably and how they can fit within the parameters of LEED. Examine innovative design solutions that are well-adapted to life on earth over the long haul by emulating nature’s 3.8 billion years of time-tested patterns and strategies.
- Define biomimicry and identify its relationship to sustainable architecture, design and engineering.
- Identify the role of biomimicry in common green building rating systems such as LEED and Living Building Challenge.
- Understand the underlying “Life’s Principles” and become familiar with the biomimicry design process.
- Explore case studies from the built environment related to sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy & atmosphere, materials & resources, indoor environmental quality and innovations in design.
- Identify additional resources available related to biomimicry.